As we approach World Refugee Day on June 20th, now is the time to make your voices heard to tell your Members of Congress to stand in solidarity with refugees and support refugee resettlement. During this difficult time, crises test who we are as a nation. In recognition of the sacrifice, resilience, and contributions of refugees – including the hundreds of thousands working on the frontlines of pandemic response – now is the time to make your voice heard.
Call Your Members of Congress Today!
Click “Call Me” on the right to receive a phone call that connects you to your 2 Senators and 1 Representative
Sample Script: “I’m your constituent from [CITY/TOWN], and [as a person of faith/as a person who cares about refugees], I urge you to:
- Cosponsor the bipartisan resolution commemorating the 40th Anniversary of the Refugee Act of 1980 (H.Res.902 / S.Res.545);
- Provide a supplemental $642 million for the Office of Refugee Resettlement (ORR) in FY2020 through the Refugee and Entrant Assistance account to ensure vulnerable populations like refugees don’t fall through the cracks and can receive housing, food, and the care they need;
- Hold the administration accountable to operating the resettlement program in good faith and restoring both the resettlement program and asylum protections to historic norms; and also to welcoming asylum seekers and stateless individuals, preventing family separation, and ending the detention of asylum seekers and other vulnerable migrants seeking protection, in favor of community-based alternatives;
- (For the House of Representatives Only) I also invite you to join the bipartisan congressional refugee caucus (led by Reps. Lofgren (D-CA-19), Diaz-Balart (R-FL-25), Neguse (D-CO-2), and Chris Smith (R-NJ-4)) by emailing email@example.com.
My community welcomes refugees and I urge you to do the same.”
Amplify on Social Media: Share this message with your Senators & Representatives on social media! Here are sample posts, below. Stay tuned for a social media toolkit with additional sample posts, graphics, and more.
- This #WRD2020, we celebrate the 40th anniversary of the bipartisan Refugee Act of 1980. I’m calling on @Senator/@Representative to lead by protecting the most vulnerable. Support H.Res.902 / S.Res.545!
- .@Senator/@Representative On #WRD2020 I’m calling on you to hold the administration accountable. Let’s be the leader that the world’s most vulnerable need. Support H.Res.902 / S.Res.545!
State & Local Advocacy: Your state and local leaders need to hear the same message. Tell them that your community welcomes refugees. To contact your state and local officials, visit: contactingcongress.org/local and usa.gov/elected-officials. To tweet your state and local officials, click to find the twitter handles for your governor and state legislators.
Sample Ask for State & Local Officials: “Will you be a champion for refugee resettlement, oppose any and all anti-refugee proposals, and help us enact pro-refugee policies?”
- Depending on your state and local context, you can ask state and local leaders to:
- Pass a refugees welcome resolution to commemorate World Refugee Day; and/or
- Support workforce development opportunities for refugees, such as emergency licensing for internationally-trained medical professionals.
- For more information about state and local advocacy, check out our State Action Toolkit for a Refugee and Immigrant Inclusive Response to COVID-19: bit.ly/StateCOVIDToolkit.
Thank you for taking action, and please share this alert with your networks!