In the midst of a growing global pandemic, an outbreak of COVID-19 at immigration detention facilities is an imminent threat. The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) continues to target and detain immigrants, threatening the safety and health of immigrant communities and exacerbating the threat of an outbreak in facilities.The well-documented unsanitary and unsafe conditions of ICE and Customs and Border Protection (CBP) facilities will facilitate an outbreak. It is critical that we make our voices heard to Congress to fight for the health and freedom of all of our neighbors by releasing immigrants from detention, ensuring they have access to medical testing and treatment, and cutting funds that fuel immoral immigration enforcement.
CONTACT YOUR SENATORS & REPRESENTATIVE TODAY:
Click “Send Email” on the right to send a message to your 2 Senators and 1 Representative
Sample Email: “Dear Representative/Senator [Name],
I’m your constituent from [CITY/TOWN], and [as a person of faith] I urge you to fight for the health and freedom of all immigrants by calling for the release of all people in ICE custody and cutting funds from ICE and CBP that fuel immoral immigration enforcement. People locked up in detention are already extremely vulnerable to the spread of infectious disease due to their deprivation of liberty, physical proximity to others, and ICE’s horrendous track record of inadequate medical care in custody. Every day that immigrants remain detained poses a serious threat to their – and my community’s – safety. We should be investing in caring for our communities during this difficult time – not detention, deportation, and family separation. My community believes that we are stronger when we care for one another, including our immigrant neighbors. I urge you to resist medical prejudice and scapegoating, and uphold the best of who we are.
Here are some additional resources:
- DWN Toolkit to Support Local Demands for Mass Release of People in ICE Custody
- Interfaith Immigration Coalition’s five demands for the administration, calling for an end to medical prejudice against immigrants: http://bit.ly/IICCOVID19
- CWS factsheet with Coronavirus / COVID-19 resources in multiple languages for refugees and immigrants
- Here is an analysis of the COVID related legislation, which includes a list of resources.
- If you are a concerned individual who is looking for ways to support refugees or asylum seekers in your community, here are some resources and information.
Thank you for taking action – and please forward this to your networks!