This year, in the midst of a pandemic, emergency funding is needed for the United States Postal Service (USPS) to continue serving the public. As an essential part of our national infrastructure and a vital component of the economy, USPS funding is critical for businesses struggling to stay open, for people to get their essential prescription medications, and for voters wanting to vote from home to avoid needless exposure to COVID-19. Access to voting by mail is especially important to voters who have been discriminated against or kept from voting, including Black, Indigenous, People of Color, and New American voters. Any actions that slow down the mail during a pandemic harms those who depend on its services and is a form of voter suppression–this includes failure to provide critical emergency funding.
Congress must take action by providing funding to the USPS to ensure they can continue delivering the mail with no changes to delivery speed or access points. Any emergency funding must be contingent upon the Postal Service ensuring reliably speedy delivery, and no reduction in processing or access points, prioritizing election mail for the fastest delivery of mail-in ballots. The Delivery for America Act (H.R.8015), which has already passed the House of Representatives, would provide $25 billion in funding for the USPS to ensure the USPS provides prompt and reliable services and would enforce oversight of the USPS and its administration. As people of faith, it is vital for us to show our love for our neighbor and urge the Senate to pass the Delivering for America Act immediately.
CONTACT YOUR 2 SENATORS TODAY:
Click “Send Email” or “Call Me” on the right to contact your Senators – and make sure to insert the name of your city or town in the first line!
Sample Script: “I’m your constituent from [CITY/TOWN], and [as a person of faith] I am disturbed by reports of mail slow downs and critical services that aren’t being delivered. I urge you to take swift and decisive action by passing the bipartisan Delivering for America Act (H.R.8015). This bill would provide $25 billion in emergency funding and congressional oversight needs for the USPS – as well as the operational challenges so they can continue delivering the mail with quick and reliable delivery and processing times, particularly for mail-in ballots to vote. Not passing this legislation puts both the economy and our democracy in peril. The Post Office is critical to our national infrastructure – and our communities rely on it for business, voting, prescription medication and other essential services.”
Amplify on Social Media: Share this message with your Senators on social media! Here are sample posts:
- My love for my neighbor means I’m working to protect the Post Office. Congress needs to pass the Delivering for America Act to make sure the Postal Service gets the funds they need to operate. #SaveUSPS #SaveThePostOffice #ProtectOurVote #FaithfulDemocracy
- Reports like this: https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/md-politics/usps-states-delayed-mail-in-ballots/2020/08/14/64bf3c3c-dcc7-11ea-8051-d5f887d73381_story.html mean that voting by mail is in peril. Congress needs to stop this voter suppression and get the Post Office the funds they need by passing the Delivering for America Act (H.R. 8015). #SaveUSPS #SaveThePostOffice #ProtectOurVote #FaithfulDemocracy
- I rely on the Postal Service for [PRESCRIPTIONS/MY SMALL BUSINESS/VOTING] (pick what works best for you here or fill one in of your own). Congress must protect the USPS by passing the Delivering for America Act.#SaveUSPS #SaveThePostOffice #ProtectOurVote #FaithfulDemocracy
For additional ways to take action, please check out:
- Faith Toolkit to Save the USPS
- Power the Polls Partner Toolkit to recruit poll workers and prevent closing polling places
- Faithful Democracy National Poll Worker Recruitment Day (NPRD) Social Media Tool-Kit (and accompanying graphics)
- CWS Civic Engagement Toolkit
Thank you for taking action- and please share this action alert with your networks!