On June 18th, the Supreme Court ruled that President Trump’s attempt to end the successful Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program was improper. This means that the DACA program stands for the time being, offering temporary reprieve for the 700,000 DACA recipients who have been awaiting court intervention, especially now in the midst of a global public health crisis. Many DACA recipients work in essential occupations through these difficult months of pandemic, putting their lives on the line to serve this country. As teachers, medical professionals, lawyers, and more, DACA recipients are woven into the fabric of our society and are vital members of our communities. And as we respond to the Supreme Court decision on DACA, we join Black advocates to cut funding for harmful immigration enforcement that fuels the militarization of our communities and criminalization of Black and brown communities.
Ultimately, only legislation–not litigation–can provide a permanent solution for DACA recipients – and all dreamers and their families, such as the Dream and Promise Act (H.R.6). The House of Representatives has already passed a permanent solution – and now is an important time to tell our Senators that they should support permanent solutions for immigrant youth and cutting funding for immoral immigration enforcement.
CONTACT YOUR SENATORS TODAY:
Click “Send Email” on the right to contact your 2 Senators
Sample Email: “I’m your constituent from [CITY/TOWN], and [as a person of faith] I urge you to pass the Dream and Promise Act of 2019 (H.R.6) — common-sense legislation that would provide a pathway to citizenship for people eligible for Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) and immigrant youth. On June 18th, the Supreme Court ruled that President Trump’s attempt to end DACA was “arbitrary and capricious” – but ultimately, only legislation will provide a permanent solution for dreamers and their families. I also urge you to support any proposals that include at minimum extensions of DACA and TPS work permits and protection from deportation for immigrants in any stimulus packages moving through Congress to address COVID-19; and cut funding for ICE & CBP. My community welcomes immigrants, and I urge you to reflect the best of our nation by doing the same.”
Amplify on Social Media: Don’t forget to tweet at your Members of Congress. Here are some sample posts:
- DACA recipients deserve permanent protection! My faith community stands with DACA recipients and all our immigrant neighbors. In light of the #DACADecision, we call on Congress and @realDonaldTrump to pass permanent solutions for Dreamers. #Faith4DACA #HomeIsHere
- People of faith: Urge @realDonaldTrump to provide permanent protection to the 800,000 immigrant youth who are part of the DACA program. These young people are our friends, family, coworkers, and vital members of our communities. Their #HomeIsHere! #Faith4DACA
- Over 200,000 DACA recipients are essential workers serving on the frontlines of the #COVID19 pandemic. They deserve permanent protection and to be recognized as the invaluable members of our communities that they are. #Faith4DACA #HomeIsHere
- Faith4DACA Supreme Court Toolkit June 2020
- IIC Webinar: “What Does the DACA Ruling Mean for You?”
- Top 5 Things to Know about DACA Now That the Supreme Court Has Ruled
- Alert: Supreme Court Overturns Trump Administration’s Termination of DACA
- Supporting DACA Team Members: A Guide for Employers
- NILC Webinar: Immigrants’ Access to Health Care, Public Charge, and Safe Spaces in Health Care Centers
Thank you for taking action and please share this alert with your network!