Background: Today, January 27th, we recognize the third anniversary of the first refugee and Muslim ban, as well as January 29th’s one-year anniversary of the “Migrant Protection Protocols” (MPP) policy that closes our doors to asylum seekers and wrongfully forces them to wait in dangerous conditions in Mexico. The administration has repeatedly attacked refugees, asylum seekers, and our Muslim neighbors, prolonging family separation, undermining our moral and legal obligations to the most vulnerable, and discriminating against people based of their faith or nationality.
The NO BAN Act is legislation that would terminate the administration’s refugee, Muslim, and asylum bans and ensure that no one is banned from our country based on religious or nationality-based discrimination. In addition, Senator Blumenthal plans to introduce an important resolution recognizing the anniversaries of the refugee and Muslim ban, urging Congress to defund the MPP policy, and calling for the enactment of the NO BAN Act. Join us in calling on all Members of Congress to cosponsor and pass the NO BAN Act (S.1123 / H.R.2214) and urging Senators to join as original cosponsors of the resolution.
CALL YOUR SENATORS & REPRESENTATIVE TODAY:
Click “Call Me” on the right to be connected to your 2 Senators and 1 Representative
Sample Script: “I’m your constituent from [CITY/TOWN], and [as a person of faith]:
- I urge you to stand against hate and cosponsor the NO BAN Act (S.1123 / H.R.2214). This bill would ensure that no one is banned from our country based on religious or nationality-based discrimination.
- FOR SENATORS ONLY: I also urge the Senator to sign on as an original cosponsor to Senator Blumenthal’s resolution marking the third anniversary of the refugee and Muslim ban, urging Congress to defund the harmful Migrant Protection Protocols, and calling for the enactment of the NO BAN Act.
In the last three years, the administration has repeatedly tried to ban refugees, asylum seekers, and Muslim neighbors from the United States. My community is still feeling the negative impacts of these immoral and wrongful bans that continue to tear apart families. No one should be blocked from entering the country just because of their faith tradition or where they come from. My community welcomes refugees, asylum seekers, and immigrants, and I urge you to do the same.”
Amplify on Social Media: Don’t forget to tweet at your Members of Congress. Here are some sample posts:
- The refugee & Muslim ban has torn apart families. We need Congress to repeal it today. #MuslimBanTurns3 [click this link to automatically tweet]
- The refugee and #MuslimBanTurns3 today, and people like Afkab from Ohio are still separated from their families because of it. Congress, we need you to repeal the ban and pass the #NoBanAct now. pic.twitter.com/tcMcU9KYvy [click this link to automatically tweet]
- .@[Member of Congress’ twitter handle] as your constituent, I’m asking you to sign the #NoBanAct and restore the American value of equal treatment for all people, regardless of their faith. #MuslimBanTurns3 #NoMuslimBan #NoRefugeeBans
Thank you for taking action, and please share this alert with your networks!