We believe that all people have inherent dignity. As the COVID-19 crisis tests our strength as a society, the administration has systematically eviscerated asylum protections, and continues to target, detain, and deport and expel immigrants and asylum seekers. This threatens the safety and health of our communities, exacerbates the outbreaks in detention facilities that impacts those detained and staff, and turns away asylum seekers, in violation of our moral and legal obligations.
Right now, the House of Representatives is considering funding levels for next fiscal year (FY 2021) including the Fiscal Year 2021 Homeland Security “appropriations” bill. This legislation includes critical provisions that would defund the administration’s cruel “Remain in Mexico” (or Migration Protection Protocol) policy that unlawfully returns asylum seekers to Mexico while their case is adjudicated and would cut funding for immigrant detention. Since the House is considering this legislation over the next few days, it is vital that your Representative hears from you today!
CONTACT YOUR REPRESENTATIVE TODAY:
Click “Send Email” on the right to be connected to your Representative – and make sure to insert the name of your city or town in the first line!
Sample Email: “I’m your constituent from [CITY/TOWN], and as a person of faith: I urge you to defund the harmful Migrant Protection Protocol policy and cut funds for immigrant detention as it’s considered in the FY 2021 appropriations process. These funds are at the expense of investments in education, healthcare, and humanitarian assistance. Many asylum seekers subject to MPP have been kidnapped, raped, and assaulted. In fact, the number of reported attacks on returned asylum seekers continues to rise—now to 1,114 as of May 2020. Instead of blocking people seeking humanitarian protection, the administration can employ sensible measures recommended by public health experts. I also urge you to cut immigrant detention funding, as detention activities have long risked the lives of tens of thousands of immigrants who remain in custody and currently present significant broader public health risks as ICE and facility staff come and go from the facilities. We should be investing in caring for our communities during this difficult time – not detention, deportation, and family separation. My community welcomes asylum seekers and immigrants, and I urge you to do the same.”
Amplify on Social Media: Don’t forget to tweet at your Representative.
- .[@Representative] As a person of faith, I urge you to defund the harmful #MPP policy and cut funds for immigrant detention as it’s considered in the FY 2021 appropriations process. My community in [CITY/TOWN] welcomes asylum seekers and immigrants. I urge you to do the same.
- .[@Representative] As a person of faith, I believe we should be caring for our neighbors during this pandemic—not detaining or deporting them. I urge you to defund #MPP and cut funding for immigrant detention as it’s considered in the FY 2021 appropriations process. #Faith4Asylum
- .[@Representative] rejecting asylum seekers and detaining immigrants is immoral and a violation of my faith values. I urge you to defund #MPP and cut funding for immigrant detention as it’s considered in the FY 2021 appropriations process. #Faith4Asylum
- .[@Representative] asylum seekers subject to #MPP have been kidnapped, raped, and assaulted. This is unacceptable. As constituent from [CITY/TOWN], I urge you to defund MPP and instead invest in education, healthcare, and humanitarian assistance. #Faith4Asylum
- .[@Representative] Immigrants in detention are contracting #COVID19 at alarming rates. This is both inhumane and preventable. I urge you to cut immigrant detention funding to keep our immigrant neighbors and our communities safe during this pandemic. #FreeThemAll
Thank you for taking action, and please share this alert with your networks!